Friday, September 15, 2017

Musings

Why do we do what we do? Is there a reason or is it arbitrary. I used to think I knew why I was doing what I was doing but now, I am not so sure.

When I was employed, my activities primarily centered around earning a pay check to meet the mortgage, feed my family, and buy the things we needed, wanted, or desired. Now that I'm retired, it is a different story -- I guess that is what this is all about -- i.e. I'm trying to establish a rationale.

Looking back, I was active in Kiwanis. Was that because I was civic minded? Was it the camaraderie? Was it the activities? Why aren't I still engaged in Kiwanis?

I was active in Scouting but not any more! Basically discontinued my Scouting activities when I was diagnosed with stage 5 kidney disease. The only Scouting activity that I've continued to be involved with is posting or sharing things to Facebook that I run across related to Scouting. If and when I return to good health (i.e., receive a kidney transplant), I will probably become more active in Scouting again.

(originally drafted August 15, 2017)

No comments: