- He lived during the 4th century in Lycia, a province on the southwest coast of Asia Minor.
- Traveled to Egypt and Palestine.
- Became Bishop of the church at Myra.
- During the period of Christian persecution he was imprisoned by Diocletian.
- Later released by Constantine the Great who issued the Edict of Milan in AD 313 which called for a toleration of all religions.
- Protestant churches in Germany transformed St. Nicholas into Father Christmas. Kriss Kringle -- Christ Kindle, meaning Christ child.
CHRISTMAS comes from the Old English term Cristes maesse meaning Christ’s mass -- a festival service of worship help on Dec 25th to commemorate the birth of Jesus.
Three masses in the Roman Catholic Church on Christmas day.
- Midnight represents the birth of the Lord before the ages.
- Dawn supposedly represents the birth by the Blessed Virgin.
- Daylight hours represents the birth in the hearts of the faithful.