Saturday, April 12, 2008

"O Death, where is your sting?" NKJV 1st Cor 15:55

It is in the living!

My friend Adolph Eskridge died today. Several of my friends and acquaintances have died recently. That is probably because the end of life as we know it on this earth is death.

I remember when my friend the Rev. Billy Kirk died. That was an experience I do not want to repeat. I visited his wife after his death but that was not something I wanted to experience either. That is probably why I didn't do it to often.

That is probably one of the reasons I didn't pursue the pastorate at Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church. As a pastor, one has to deal with death much more than I desire.

Death and I have not had a good relationship.
It has been too close, too real, and t0o disconcerting.
Never anything that brought peace and solace.
Too many friends have gone on but then that is to be expected.

I guess what I will take from these experiences is to enjoy what I have I have it because this to will pass. Colossi ans 2: 6-23 helps me to make some sense of our sojourn on this earth just as Hebrews 2: 14-18 helps to explain the pains of Jesus' sufferings on this earth.

I'm still struggling with this earthly experience -- the good, the bad, and death. Perhaps the solace that will get me through day by day, experience by experience, and what we know as life and death is my faith and belief in Jesus Christ.

My daily experiences will pass -- not necessarily forgotten --but pass.

Thank you Holy Ghost! Amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seen to have great insite