Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Greatest Gift of Christmas


The greatest gift of Christmas is Jesus Christ and His love.

God so loved the word that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but will have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Learned it when I was a child, not even ten years old. Here I am, at least 56 years later and haven't forgotten yet. Probably never will! Is it from the King James version of the Bible? Probably, but does it matter? There is no mistaking the sentiment. God is Love!

When I think of love, I think of I Corinthians 13:4-8 (NIV):
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.


If we read on, verses 8b through 10 tell us (NIV):
But where there are prophecies, they will cease;
Where there are tongues, they will be stilled;
Where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
But when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

The it goes on to address the concept of "Aging" -- something I deal with on a daily basis (11)
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought liked a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

Then it addresses the great hereafter (12)
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; Then we shall see face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

It concludes with the reality of life and death (13):
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.

Love is ..... God is ..... I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See I do read my email. I will enjoy reading your blog